Protecting the Carbon ring you love
May 11, 2015
The do’s and don’ts of caring for your favourite pieces.
1. Carbon recommends you take out insurance and check the policy to cover loss, partial loss, theft and damages.
Carbon can provide you the Q Report policy which covers you for the following:
- 12 months worldwide cover
- Immediate cover before leaving Carbon
- An agreed value policy with up to 125% cover
- The ability for you to return to Carbon or any jeweller of your choice
- Annual re-evaluation of your jewellery (at no extra cost)
- A personalised insurance policy backed by a world wide leading insurer Chubb Insurance Australia Limited
Please ensure that you report the loss or theft to the police immediately and regardless of if the event occurs in Australia or overseas.
2. Diamonds attract grease. Body oil or lotion will make your diamond look dull and loose its sparkle.
Carbon recommends the following:
- Have your ring professionally cleaned and claws checked prior to your wedding day and then every subsequent 12 month anniversary following.
- On a weekly basis we suggest you prepare a bowl of hot water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Immerse your ring in the solution and soak it for 10-15 mins. Remove the ring and using a soft bristle toothbrush make sure you clean underneath the diamond. Rinse it under cold water (make sure the plug is in the sink when you clean your ring)
Remember. Each day treat your ring as if you were wearing a white dress or your favourite pair of killer heels. Treat it like a princess.
3. Your ring should be the first thing you take off when you get home and the last thing you put on when you leave the house. Just like you would leave a car in the garage at night; be mindful to reserve the same special location to park your beautiful ring in. Adopting the same routine will ensure you never have to doubt where your ring is and when it is not on your finger. Vera Wang, George Jensen all sell beautiful trays which are ideal for keeping your rings safe and sound in.
4. You know the age old adage, Never say never? The same applies to your ring. Never say “I don’t want to take my ring off, because I am scared I will lose it”. Remember, to always be mindful. Just like your phone, wallet and handbag – your ring is the ultimate ‘Don’t leave home’ without me item.
1. Don’t conduct the following activities whilst wearing your ring.
- Sports / Gym
- Swimming (Chlorine will strip the rhodium off white gold rings).
2. Don’t wear your ring in the Ocean. Remember that the cold water shrinks your fingers and it may slide off when you least expect it.
3. Don’t wear your ring 24/7. Your delicate ring will get damaged as Diamonds chip and claws can wear.
Sad, but true stories:
- When you are out in public and go to the bathroom we suggest clench your ring between your teeth only if you HAVE to remove your ring. Do not leave it on the nearby basin as you will walk off without it.
- When you want to apply hand cream and or find yourself in transit, do not remove your ring and place it on your lap, in your bag or alongside of you. We advise to again clench the ring between your teeth to ensure you do not leave it behind.
- When traveling to a colder climate and your ring feels loose, wear it on your opposite hand. The right hand is in most cases bigger.
- When pregnant and in the last trimester, you may have to take your ring off as this will cause your finger to swell up and become uncomfortable. The last thing we want is to have to cut your ring off because it was left too long and unnoticed. Any weight gain during pregnancy is gained all over your body. Allow time for your hand and body to adjust.